Saturday, October 27, 2007

An Ode To Disagreement

Being a college freshman, I have come to experience a vast host of different views among my peers. While in Chapel Hill it is becoming more and more apparent that certain people view ideas and hold ideas that are in stark contrast to those that I or others hold dearly. For example, a common one, especially in my English class, is that of the discussion concerning the existence of some sort of higher being. I have been brought up in the church and I am confident in my beliefs, however, in class, it is easy for such beliefs to brought under the microscope and questioned to the the utmost scrutinicy. My belief in God is not based upon one lonely fact or one such 'experience,' but instead it is indeed composed more like an orchestra of experiences, facts, and dare I say, truths. However, with this in mind, I am certainly aware of others' dissenting beliefs. I, and other Christians, are not naive to the world around us, we are not necessarily smiles and bubbly attitudes all the time, unaware of the pain-filled and self-guided world in which we too are a member of. Thus, for this reason, we should embrace questions. In fact, as pointed out by several different commentators of our faith, questions permeate throughout the writings of our Bible. Consider Moses in Exodus 3 questioning God and His plan to free His people. Or consider Mary questioning the angel who told her of her miraculous role in the birth of Jesus. Or, indeed, take Jesus himself, questioning His father while on the cross, "My God My God, why has thou forsaken me?" So, you see, the idea of questions being able to weaken our faith is the antithesis of what is seen in the Bible. Instead, we support questions, for we do not under any circumstances have all the answers but we take these questions and wrestle with them, as Jacob wrestled with God, we too wrestle with the questions that this world can pose to us. My friends, it is from this background that I post this today. It is in the midst of a world of turmoil and questions that everyone seems to be lost in that they know not where to look. Some answers that have been offered fail to quench the thirst in which we all have somewhere in us. Oh I know, that some will read this and think, "I have no thirst within me," or, "I don't even know what he is talking about," again, I am not naive to these responses, but I do disagree. In fact, it is the the thirst within you that, maybe even subconsciously, dictates you to continue to read on from sentence to sentence. With this thought taken into consideration, don't cease to read in an attempt to make a statement or rebel against the thoughts recorded here. Instead, I ask that you continue, as I know that you will find such postings to be interesting to say the least, and if you disagree, I have no problem with you or your disagreement. For from disagreements, whether subtle or harsh, comes, as if it were almost planned, questions. Without sound disagreement or opposing thoughts, where would questions come from? All questions would thus be degraded to stemming only from fear, for example only being concerned with consequences, or from simple questions, such as "What flavor of ice cream would you like to buy?" These fearful or simple questions are of use, but are not nearly as weighty as those questions that merge together from the rivers of disagreement and discontentness. Now that you, being the reader and the invited responder, understand where I am coming from, make no doubt that your questions or comments are certainly invited, but also that each question may not have an exact and definitive answer. Such is the near beauty of the faith in that we continue each day in the adventure of living out questions and seeking answers. How then, do we live and seek such answers? Do we merely read and study and read and study in search of answers? For certainly some answers may be found by such methods but will all answers be found in that way? I don't believe so, for life must be lived. Reading and studying are part of our quest for answers but so is simply living out the life we have, in my opinion I know, given. Thus what, if any, is the best way to live out our life that is in a constant search of answers, conclusions, and fulfilment? And, in final, and in a seemingly random fashion- What, if any, is the causal link between our search for answers, and the popularity, based on sales, of the UnderArmor athletic product?

4 comments:

DgreatOne8 said...

I must say that just your free write was a joy to read. I am amazed at your capability to think so complexly and express your feelings so fluidly. You unlike many others have found equilibrium in “welcoming life’s questions” and also remaining fast to your faith. I am also a Christian and have been troubled for years by doing what you were just writing about. I have faith but my negative life experiences and my search to find my purpose in life have swayed me in my opinions. I even found myself fearful to ask questions and seek answers to the many life daunting questions. Like “why is our world filled with such turmoil and suffering?” and “why would God Almighty allow this to be?” Also like you, this English class has challenged me further and demarcated questions that I truly do not have answers for. I think you are on to something by welcoming questions and opposing thoughts, for through questions and others, you might also understand more about yourself. Good luck with seeking your answers, and I look forward to reading more posts from you.

Abstract Queen said...

This is so good! I’ve often found myself questioning things in class that I know I shouldn’t be questioning. I remember when I was younger and asked my parents how did they know whether or not God was a real person; that just because it was written in a book did not amount to anything, and not to mention that someone came before God. I was often popped in the mouth or scolded for even “thinking” like this, which I quickly learned to stop doing. But now that I am an independent thinker, I have realized that we, as Christians, walk and learn by faith. This class has brought up some questions in my mind as well, but I must remember that my religion has guided my life and will continue to guide me. God tests our beliefs by having people express different ideas to us to see whether or not we will fall into the trap. You are not alone in your search.

McCrea said...

Wow. I agree- your post sounds extremely profound and C.S. Lewis-ish. Very well written. This definitely applies to everyone because everyone has questions, whether they are afraid to admit it or not. It is only by asking questions that we can learn and find answers. Having gone through a period of doubt in my Christian faith as I'm sure many have, I found that I could come up with an infinite amount of questions to ask...How do we know the Bible is true? How do we know Jesus really did all those miracles? Of course we didn't live in that time period so we couldn't physically see what went on. But here lies the issue of faith which you mentioned. Faith - being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. With faith, we must expect doubt to follow. If we knew all the answers, we'd be God. God can't tell us all of his reasons for doing things just yet. One day we'll look back on our life and say, "oh so that's why that happened" and be glad we didn't interefere.

A said...

Out of all the blogs I have read, I think your's has done the best job of making me think and making me want to read more. At first I was not quite sure where you were going with your post, but it was fascinating and really made me think. I know exactly what you mean when you write of being surronded by questions. An important question I have struggled with since middle school is my own ideas of religion and its place in my life. To be honest I was raised by two Christian parents who typically go to Church, but I have not really followed that. Because of my background I do believe there is a God, but I question how that should affect my life. During high school I began to ignore my own questions about myself and religion and began to focus more on who I am as an individual. I, like you, hope to further understand myself - and I plan on using these blogs to do just that. I think that an important way to learn anything is to ask and answer questions, and I myself love answering questions because it forces you to understand what you think. I hope that you are able to find the answers to your questions, and I look forward to reading more posts.