Monday, November 19, 2007

Knowledge of the Related but Unknown

What you are about to read may seem a bit out of place. It indeed may appear to have absolutely no connection with what you have been reading in my prior posts. However, I guarantee you that there is a connection. Though these seemingly random facts and tid bits of knowledge do not appear related, they are indeed connected in some direct or for many an indirect way. They are indeed interesting though, as I would continue on if I were to be you. Of course though, that's not the case because you are you, none the less, do procede.
In segments of my research where I was investigating football, I found that there were a couple players that I had always observed, but never knew their titles. For example, the "gunner" in football is the a special teams (kickoffs, punts, etc..) player that has the job of sprinting down the field as fast as he can after a punt, and trying to tackle the punt returner with little gain on the returner's part. I had always seen one man break away from the pack for the punting team and make it down field, but I had never known he was actually supposed to be the first one down there, I suppose I had assumed that he was just faster than the other players or had achieved a better position in relation to avoidance of blockers. Along with the gunner, there is also a "wedge buster" who, like the gunner, is on the punt team and his job is to actually run right into the blockers on the side of the field of the punt returner in order to disrupt any form of organized blocking from the opposing team. Two players I had seen for some time, little did I know they were actually doing it right all along.

In continuing my investigation of the related but unknown, I found that many ancient Natives to our land also played sports. Though they certainly didn't have Under Armour to help keep them cool or warm depending on the conditions, they did in fact play in all conditions. Strangely enough, they did sport a loin cloth uniform, usually with leather 'hip guards.' Also, normally a wooden girdle was worn. How interesting it would be to see an NFL player sport one of these ancient costumes? Then again, you may not want to think about it.

UnderArmour, was actually worn by marines for some time! I thought that was very interesting, however, it's not as interesting as the reason they no longer wear it, or at least, are told not to do so. Many military branches now discourage the use of UnderArmour, depsite it's 'degree' of effectiveness, because when close to fire, the UnderArmour polyester material will fuse to the skin.

However, polyester is a very broad category, it serves as an umbrella for a large variety of materials. For example, some forms of polyester are actually very heat resistant and they are used as a sealant for jet engines. Some forms of polyester stuff pillows, while others serve as a finish for products such as pianos and guitars. That's an interesting thought now isn't it. The same thing basis of fabric that NFL football players wear, is what you lay your head down on at night.


I did indeed stumble accross many more interesting facts. However, most were either in other languages or just not as interesting as some of these were. Thanks for taking the time to read up on these related but unknown facts and I hope just maybe you learned something. Until then.

No comments: